I could actually give you 100 just off the top of my head. I look at things like lowering my elctric bill as one of the great challenges of life. Even if we had a million dollars why give it all to to the electric company. The first step in lowering your bill is to recognize what is using all that electricity in your house. anything with a heating element in it is a big user. Dryer, oven, stove, water heater, electric furnace. So these areas of use should be checked first. Plan use ahead, plan it in a way that gives you the most use for your dollar.
So let me see, here are 10 ways for now.
- forget using the dryer in the summer
- when you use the dryer in the winter, use an inside vent to heat the house
- when you bake, bake more than one thing, never heat the whole oven for just one item
- use a small toaster oven for small things
- turn your water heater thermostat down
- turn your washer to warm instead of hot
- put a timer on your water heater
- in the winter, set your furnace thermostat lower and layer your clothing
- check for drafts in your house and fix them
- when it gets really cold put quilts over your windows in rooms you don’t use
So do you even have an electric budget? Learn to make a planned effort to keep your electric bill where YOU want it.